Saturday, February 10, 2007

Quiet Moments

My boys went to my mom and dad's house (across the field) to visit for a little bit so I am enjoying some quiet moments and thought that I would post.

There have been so many things happening around here that I don't even know where to begin and gather my thoughts.

School plans have been made for next year. I am hoping to attend the Indianapolis Convention in March so I will buy most of my stuff there. I will place my order from My Father's World to correspond with that time. We probably won't take a lot of time off this summer so we will just go from one curriculum to the next.

Here is the rundown for next year:
Leland - 5th Grade
My Father's World Explorers-1850 (history/bible/science)
Math-U-See (whatever comes after Gamma - I don't have the book in front of me)
Italic Handwriting book F
Spellling Power
Latin Christiana I
Intermediate Language Lessons by Emma Serl
Writing - either Writing Strands 3 again or something else I pick up at convention
45 mins. of required reading every day plus book basket

Gregory - 2nd Grade
My Father's World Explorers-1850 (with the Adventures supplement)
Math-U-See Gamma
Italic Handwriting book C
Spelling Power
Primary Language Lessons by Emma Serl
Prima Latina
30 mins. of required reading every day plus book basket

Now that Leland enjoys reading somewhat he will be required to choose a different genre of book to read and report on every month. Right now he is reading through the Boxcar Children series but I would like to expand his reading selections. Each month he will required to select a genre of books (historical fiction, biography, science, history, mystery, etc.), read it and give a short oral or written report (I haven't decided completely on the form of the report yet). Once that is done, he will be free to read whatever he likes (with approval) until the end of that month. I am hoping to open him up to the different styles of writing and then various things that can be learned or explored through reading. I think that this will be a compromise that we can both live with. Gregory will be exempt from this pattern for one more year while he develops his reading skills.

I am also hoping to put more of a focus on character development this year and next. MFW programs to focus on character and training somewhat, but I know that this is an area that I need to work on with my children. While training my children I know that I will also have to work on my character.

I find that I struggle with depression frequently throughout each month. Most of the time I can't even put my finger on what the cause for my "blues" would be. I am just "blue". I feel that these feelings may be due to some discontent on my part and I am going to work on that. Sometimes I feel like I am pushing God away, when I really do need him more than ever. There are so many things that I daily as my God and I know that He just wants ME. All of ME. He wants ME with no strings attached and with no conditions. God wants me, all of my sinful nature and my many faults. He wants to work in my life and to use me to further His kingdom. I want to give myself to Him. Truly I do. But that is where it gets hard. I find it very hard to "let go" of my life. Even though I consiously know that God can do wonderful things in my life, I find myself afraid to relinquish control. "What ifs" plague my thoughts. I am scared. So this week and next I am going to be praying that God will help me reliquish control of my life to Him. I don't know what is going to happen next but I am excited to see how God will use me. Please pray for me, if you feel led, during this time.

No comments: