Saturday, August 19, 2006

Educational opportunities

I try to take advantage of outside educational activities when they are presented to us. I realize that I might not always know the best way to present various bits of information and sometimes my children just take to things better when I am not the one teaching them.

Some of the "outside" educational opportunities that we are going to take part in this year are:

1. Our local homeschool group is featuring David D'Armond in September. He will be teaching classes to K-6th on topics and experiments relating to the days of the creation week and the attributes of God. I am very excited about this.

2. We are hoping to attend at least one concert by the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra. They host education concerts at a reduced cost to students and educators. They are divided into age groups and have different concerts on different days. Taken from the brochure: "All the education concerts involve active student participation, interaction and engagement. The older the age group, the greater the depth of the exploration: What is going on in the orchestra? How do composers evoke moods? What are the concepts upon which the music is grounded? Through active listening, students lock into the excitement of sound."
For more information you can visit www.slso.org

I am always on the lookout for other fun things to do during the year that will help teach a character trait, historical event or concept. We love historical reenactments (who doesn't like a good battle :)) and I have an intense fascination with old houses. I think that it is very practical to seek out opportunities that will engage your children in hands on learning and exploring. I would encourage you to do so as well.

Happy exploring!!!!!

No comments: