Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Math Tutor DVDs

Are you looking for a different way to explain math difficulties that isn't tied to a particular curriculum? Enter Math Tutor DVDs.

I received 2 DVDs: The Basic Math Word Problem Tutor and The Algebra 2 Tutor.

These DVDs are simple and no-frills. Each DVD (2 DVDs per set) contains several lessons. For example, we watched the Adding Decimals segement on the Basic Math Word Problems DVD. Each lesson builds on the one before it. The lesson is presented with just Jason Gibson and a white board. The problem is given and he writes the solution as he works it on the white board. The concepts are each reviewed repeatedly. I loved that each segement contains many different review problems. Mr. Gibson explains in detail each part of the lesson. His voice is VERY soothing. He doesn't rush through the lessons or hurry anything along.

I appreciate that the lessons are presented by a man. I know that sounds silly, but it is wonderful when my boys can see a concept presented by someone other than MOM. LOL The only thing that I noticed that others might have a problem with is that Mr. Gibson seems to like to count on his fingers. I count on my fingers all the time so this doesn't bother me in the least....but I know it would bother some. So there is your warning! LOL

I am thrilled to have been able to try out these DVDs. I imagine that we will refer to them frequently in the future. There are DVDs for all different math concepts from basic math to physics and calculus. The DVDs are available from Math Tutor for $26.99 each.

No comments: