Sunday, March 13, 2011

Praying

I used to be a news junkie.....before 9/11 it was bad, but for several years after I woud have Fox News on in the living room almost around the clock.  I just needed to know that everything was ok  in the world I guess....by my definition of ok anyway.  Sometime in the last year, I quit watching the news all the time.  I was spending my early morning ours in prayer, bible study and facebook (If there was time).  Occassionally, I would check the local news or catch a radio broadcast.  After Sept., when things got so bad here, I just needed to focus on our problems and not worry about anything else.  Facebook became my major source of news then, as I could get feeds from Fox News and friends were always commenting about local stuff. 

The stuff happening in Japan right now is unimaginable.  I just went and looked it up; Japan is smaller than California or Montana and just larger than New Mexico.  Earthquake, tsunami and possible nuclear meltdown (at 6 facilities!)......I just can't fathom the devastation, desperation of those people.  I keep praying for them, but I don't know what to pray for.......stabilize the power plants - but they don't have food or water......send them food and water - but they face radiation poisoning......What about housing, medical needs, transportation???? 

I asked at church this morning what a safe distance was from a nuclear facility facing meltdown and we all agreed that whatever it was we would go twice that far away.......but if there was a nuclear problem in California, would I consider going anywhere near the state at all?  If something like that happened in IL, do you think I'm hanging around if there are any other options?  Even if it was as far away from me as possible?  But with limited supplies, no roads, even if these people wanted to leave, could they?  (And I fully intend to find out where the nearest nuclear power station is to me)

I just keep praying, even though I can't see the answers.  I know God is over there in Japan and that they are strong resourceful people.  I am thankful that those here in the states that were affected by the tsunami are ok, and pray for the families that lost loved ones.  I just don't know what else to do.

Enough rambling.  Praying with me for those poor people, Christians or non......hug your kids and count your blessings today, as there are few with problems as great as those faced by the Japanese right now.

No comments: