Saturday, July 15, 2006

I think that my husband has been abducted.....

OK, before you decide that I have taken a leap off a tall building....hear me out. My dh (pre Jan. 2006) smoked, drank gallons of Mt. Dew everyday and wouldn't touch veggies or whole wheat bread with a 10 foot pole. In Dec. 2005 he was diagnosed with severe emphysema and told that if he didn't quit smoking he wouldn't see the boys grow up. Now, he had tried to quit before and hadn't ever been able to, but he was determined and I was praying so he quit smoking in mid-Dec. 2005. It was tough. He was very irritable. He ate enough Werther's Originals to fill our house. We all walked on eggshells around here.

In January, I started taekwondo. The boys have been taking taekwondo since Jan. 2005 so it was natural that I would eventually join....I am there for 4-5 hours 2 or 3 days a week anyway, might as well. Norman joined up with us in February. So now he is exercising. This is the guy that thinks a walk to the car is too far. Exercising. Okay, I am adjusting.

My husband hates to drive to town, let alone take a trip and yet we went on a 9 day 7 state vacation in May. He had a good time....all of us did. He conceeded that we might be able to do it again someday.

Then just a couple of weeks ago, he reads an article about proper hydration for the body and gives up Mt. Dew. Just like that. No more Mt. Dew. He used to drink gallons of the stuff and now he drinks gallons of water. He never used to be able to sleep at night and would sleep late into the morning (he works 2nd shift). Now he goes to bed after work and gets up early enough to work around the house and yard and spend time with the boys. What a blessing!

Now, all of this has been a great adjustment for me but I have managed. Until........the other day we had company and I made homemade whole wheat bread. My husband has always refused to eat homemade bread, even white bread and here I am sitting across from him at the table, cheerfully eating homemade whole wheat bread..........

Whoever took my old husband can keep him....I think that I like this one better :)
I love you honey!!!!!

No comments: