Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Winter Weather

***To my readers on facebook ***  I know most of this is old news to you, but I do have other readers that don't live around here or aren't with me on facebook.  Feel free to read on or skip :)

It snowed Sunday.  If you ask me if I like snow I say yes.  Almost always.  I like snow.  It looks pretty, I like to feel it float down on me, I love the peaceful feeling that seems to envelope everything when it snows.  However, I hate to drive in snow.  I hate to be driven around in the snow.  I hate for people I love to be driving in the snow, or away from home when it comes.  So, I guess really, I like snow when I am home, everyone I love is home, and nobody has to go anywhere for the forseeable future.  I think you can see the problem there. 

Snow causes me major anxiety.  It had just begun snowing when Norman left for work Sunday morning.  By the time I got back up at 6:30 it was really coming down and there was a good coating on the lawn and driveway.  It wasn't blowing, no visibility problems, so I decided to be brave and go to church....a 30 min. one-way drive from our house.  Unfortunately, Norman had fallen on a patch of ice in the parking lot of work (along with 7 others in 25 mins.).  Fortunately he met us in Newton and went to church with us.  Poor guy couldn't straighten all the way up, or hold any weight in his right arm, but he was being a trooper.  Anyway, by the time we came home, it had started blowing.  We had plans that night.  A beautiful candlelight service and supper with friends.  I wanted to go, but didn't want to go.  Norman said we would go to supper, as it was only 5 miles from home.  We made it down our long drive, couldn't see for a good part of the drive, made it to our friend's house.  Had a quick supper and everyone headed for home.  We were gone less than 2 hours and our driveway was drifted completely shut.  We drove through the grass at the road end and managed to make it 2/3 of the way to the house before becoming completely stuck.  So we walked the rest of the way (not far really, couldn't have parked that close to Walmart).  Very thankful that we were home, warm and together.

By morning the snow had stopped and the blowing had stopped, but the snow fairy had NOT dug the van out of the driveway.  Things being what they are currently with extended family, the boys started digging.  Norman tried to push the van out with his truck.  Finally he got a come-along and chain and managed to get it out after all day of working on it.  The boys shoveled a lot of snow.  LOL  Norman couldn't get in to see our doctor on Monday because she was out of the office so he stayed home from work on Tuesday to see her.  Lee got out of school on Monday but had to go back today. 

Now, our driveway is passable.  I am still afraid to drive down it.  LOL  I hate to drive in the snow.  I haven't left the house since Sunday evening.  I have no idea how bad it is out there (and I hear the roads aren't bad at all), but I really have no desire to find out.  Grocery shopping will need to be done at some point though. 

I wonder what the odds are of me being able to stay home for the rest of the winter?  Not good since I have to take Lee to the bus every day, LOL, but you can't blame a girl for trying!!!!!  I suppose that God made snow so pretty so that we would be able to tolerate all the inconveniences that it brings.......I will try to remember that next time!

No comments: