Thursday, March 01, 2012

Project Planning and Organization

First let me tell you what I see as I sit here at the dining room table:  2 rooms over we have a ping pong table (in the sitting room of all places LOL)....currently under the ping pong table are 4 children, ages 14-22 months.  They are playing war or campout or something (I really haven't been paying attention).  It makes my heart so happy to see all these kids playing together so nicely.  I just had to share!

Now back to the topic at hand.  Project organization.  This could be ANY project but for the sake of time/space considerations lets tackle crafty type projects. 

In this new house I have a sewing room.  That should solve the problem, right.  WRONG!  I am a little ADHD, or maybe  alot ADHD.....or maybe I lost significant brain cells with the birth of each child (and extra with Abby because she was a girl).....I don't know what is wrong with me.  I have a project planning problem. 

I like to knit, sew, quilt and do other "crafty" type things (this problem also carries over into the kitchen and homeschool but lets stay on topic for now).  Here is a list of my current "wish I could do" projects:
**ribbon to make a spring wreath for the front door - but no wreath form.  So the Christmas/winter wreath is still out there
**knitted Jane Austin dress for Abby - I actually have the pattern, needles and yarn for this but not the material for the skirt
**knitted Jane Austin shrug for the above dress - I have the pattern and yarn (the yarn actually coordinates with the yarn for the dress) - NO needles
**sweater for Abby - I have yarn.  NO pattern.  No idea if I have enough yarn.  I might have needles that will work.  I will know when I decide on a pattern.  The yarn is currently living on the above mentioned ping pong table.
**sweater for Abby - I ordered a kit from Mary Maxim for an adorable cardigan sweater.  Should be here any day.  Who knows if I have the right sized needles but it should come with the yarn and pattern
**quilt for me? Abby?  - I bought 9 yards of coordinating material (in sage green/pink).  I found a pattern that I LOVE but don't have enough material for it.  Can't find another pattern that I like.  If I do, I DON'T have batting or backing material.  The material is currently living on the ping pong table.
**dresses for Abby - I have the material sitting upstairs for AT LEAST 5 dresses for Abby.  I also have 1 new dress pattern for Abby.  I can't decide what I want to make.
**I have been busy buying pattern books....lace knitting, theme knitting, quilting.  I have found a ton of things I want to make.  How am I going to keep all this straight?
**I want to make a pillow for the window seat (might have the material and pillow form)
**I want to knit a coffee cup huggie - I have some patterns, I have some yarn, I don't know if they will work together though.....
**I have the pattern for a beautiful lace shawl for me.  Don't have needles and can't decide on yarn.


Right now my sewing room, that started off fairly neat, looks like someone threw up a bunch of material/yarn and trash all over it.  The ironing board is covered with stuff I laid there earlier today.  Stuffed animals that need repair are on the floor.  Yarn is EVERYWHERE (but not really good yarn...it is itchy acrylic yarn in small bits of each color.  I am thinking of donating it just so I don't have to look at it any more.  It was given to me by my mil who used to do plastic canvas).  Material is everywhere. 

I thought about small bins or boxes to put project parts in until I was ready to do them.  Like put the yarn, pattern, needles in a small box so that it was there and I could just pick it up when I am looking for something to work on and it will be ready.  Does anyone think that's a good idea?  Any other ideas?  At this point I need HELP.  Maybe an intervention.  And a professional organizer.  And a maid (so I have time to do all these wonderful projects).....and 28 hours in my day.

I am open to any and all suggestions as this is also the problem with cooking projects (I have a recipe but not ingredients or an idea but no recipe) and homeschooling stuff (I want to do a project with the kids only to find out that I don't have the stuff).  Please help!!!!!!

1 comment:

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

I personally keep all of my fabric and scraps in old containers and boxes that I repurpose. It's free and serves a new purpose. I use plastic $1 baskets with dowels slid through the sides to hold all my ribbons. I use an old bookshelf someone gave me for free to hold all other project items. I use a $1 plastic trash can to hold wrapping paper, sort of like a umbrella holder. I even reuse milk jugs and cans to hold paint brushes, small paint bottles, etc.. Just cut a hole on the side with no handle and you have a free container. If you can buy or find and old dresser, you could paint it up and have endless storage solutions inside and on top of it. Don;t forget the wall for shelf storage. Vertical space is priceless and it frees up more floor space. I hope these tips helped.