Sunday, December 09, 2007

A Little Bit About Me

Candy posted her autobiography and urged that we share a little about ourselves as well. Most of my readers are also my friends in "real life" but maybe they will learn a little something about me that they didn't already know :)

I am the oldest of 3 children, I have 2 younger brothers. My parents are farmers. My dad is something of a "renaisance man". He has done a little bit of everything. When it isn't time to farm they currently travel around the US on their Harley Davidson Motorcycle. My parents are conservative and did a good job raising me and my brothers. They always did what they thought was best for us and I will always be thankful for their guidance, even if I didn't always follow it. I was a budding feminist.....I wanted to grow up to be a lawyer, astronaut, doctor and even the president!

I developed a rebellious attitude in my heart during adolescence. Although I was outwardly obedient, I was inwardly disrespectful and hateful toward many people in my life, particularly my parents and brothers. I dated a nice boy throughout high school and I suppose that many thought we would marry, but I resented the fact that he wanted to wait until I was through with college. I finally knew what I wanted to do with my life....be a stay-at-home wife and mom and that didn't jive with his idea of a working wife. We parted ways soon after my high-school graduation.

When I was 18 I met the man that I would marry. I moved into his mother's house 3 months before we married (the time between when we met and married was less than 6 months). My dh and I contintued to live with is mother for a while and then finally rented our own house. His idea of our future and mine didn't always coincide. My dh wasn't and still isn't a follower of Christ. He believes but he chooses not to follow Christ and his will for dh's life. I pray for him every day. At our first house we conceived our first son. We felt moved to go back closer to home so we moved when I was 6 months pregnant. For a while after Leland was born I stayed at home with him and enjoyed it, but felt satan's pull to be something more. I returned to college to get a degree in History. Dh lost his job so we moved again....into a trailer near my parents. I had a miscarriage about 6 months later. I was devasted. I got a job as a legal secretary and then conceived our second son. I worked all through that pregnancy while my mom and others cared for Leland. I was a wandering soul....searching for what I needed in my life. I had been baptized when I was 14 but had fell away from Christ. I had begun attending church again after Leland was born but still hadn't developed a personal relationship with Him. That began to change as I searched the internet for something.....I don't think I knew what I was looking for....but I began researching homeschooling and was led to other sites that embraced biblical womanhood. Finally a breath of fresh air!!!! After Gregory was born I didn't go back to work. I decided that no matter what our circumstances that I would stay home with my sons. My dh agreed that this was acceptable and even approved my homeschooling for a year! Praise God!!!!

We continued on in this fashion.....life changes as you go.....we bought a new manufactured home in 2003. We are still homeschooling. In 2005 the boys began taking taekwondo lessons. Within a year, dh and I were also taking classes. Both boys are now black belts and dh should be by the end of the year.

During these past few years I have done some "flip-flopping" in my walk with Christ. I tend to wear dresses only for a few months and then decide that I am being legalistic so I quit. I have since decided that I wear dresses because I want to honor God by being lady-like....like he made me. I love to wear dresses and am a real "girly-girl" so this works good for me. I struggle with teaching my boys everything that I feel that I should. I struggle in my daily walk with God. I am inspired by other homemakers that I know and the ones that I have "met" on the internet. God teaches me and leads me more every day.

All during these years we have been confronted with secondary infertility. I was diagnosed with PCOS in Oct. 2006 and we pursued fertility treatments shortly thereafter. We were very blessed to conceived our third earthly child in February of 2007. Norman Matthew was born on Oct. 30th 2007. We are truly blessed indeed!

My walk with God has its ups and downs almost on a daily basis. I am discouraged some days and don't know how I will have the strength to continue. Other days I am encouraged and blessed to know that what I am doing will have an impact on those around me. Every day has new struggles and challenges that I know God is using to grow me closer to him. I want others to know that I DON'T have everything all together. I am striving to be closer to God just like everyone else.

My worst struggles appear to be with scheduling and housework duties. I wasn't trained properly in the management of the home. I knew how to do cleaning and such but I didn't know how or why certain things were done that are intregal in the running of a home. I am learning as I go. God is faithful to teach me.

I enjoy many hobbies in my spare time. I love to knit (especially socks). I sew, garden, scrapbook and love a good mystery. I also love to sing. I try to be frugal in the money that dh's entusts me with. We are striving to be debt-free. I wear dresses and skirts because I love to. I sometimes wish that I had been born 150 years ago. Times and circumstances were more difficult but women knew how to be women and they knew what God wanted them to do. If I travel back in time I would take my washing maching with me :)

I hope that you have enjoyed this little glimpse of my life. I am a woman seeking God.....hear me roar!

No comments: