Monday, October 14, 2013

A Woman Who Memorizes God's Word

Last time I posted I commented that I wanted to become more diligent about memorizing the Word of God. 

I'm putting that desire into practice this week (and prayerfully for many, many weeks after!).

This morning I got out my copy of Polished Cornerstones by Doorposts.  Other times I have focused my memory work on what the kids were doing or whatever a Bible study I was working through suggested but this time I wanted verses that applied to my calling as a godly woman.  I knew that Polished Cornerstones would have relevant verses by subject, so that is where I started.  I found a whole section called "A Woman Who Memorizes God's Word" so I decided that is where I would start.

Chuck Swindoll writes in Growing Strong in the Seasons of Life:
"I know of no other single practice in the Christian life more rewarding, practically speaking, than memorizing Scripture...No other single exercise pays greater spiritual dividends!  Your prayer life will be strengthened.  Your witnessing will be sharper and much more effective.  Your attitudes and outlook will begin to change.  Your mind will become alert and observant.  Your confidence and assurance will be enhanced.  Your faith will be solidified."

I also believe that God uses the Holy Spirit to recall for us verses that we have memorized when we need them.....if they aren't there how can we recall them???? 

So, I'm choosing to arm myself with the Holy Word of God. 

Here are the verses that are suggested for this section and I am going to try to get them committed to memory this week. 

Psalm 119:105
Psalm 119:30
Psalm 19:8
Deuteronomy 6:6
Psalm 119:9-16

If you are looking to begin some scripture memorization, those verses are a good place to start.

See you soon :)

No comments: