Monday, May 06, 2013

Ooka Island - Review and Discount Code

***I've received the following product for free in exchange for a fair review as part of the Mosaics Review program***



I've taught a couple of children how to read :)  I have a method, a very practical, no fuss approach and it works well.  Bear is at that age, so here we go again! 

I was intrigued when I received Ooka Island to review.  Ooka Island is a learn-to-read game for ages 3-7. 

Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of educational games.  I find that they are primarily games with a little tiny bit of educational thrown in for good measure.  That's fine, as long as you go into the program knowing that.  Rarely I will encounter a game that is educational and am always very pleased when I do. 

Ooka Island surprised me.  I think that maybe I didn't want to like it.  I doubted the ability of a game to teach my children to read - believe me, I had to gain grey hair in order for that to happen.  HOWEVER, Ooka Island is different. 
#1 Bear (age 5.5) LOVES it.  Begs to play it.  Forever.  I had to turn it off.
#2 The activities are repeated without being annoying.  Repetition with reading is a good thing.
#3 The games are "self-learning".  I don't have to help at all.  Every once in a while I do a walk-through but otherwise he is on his own.  THAT is a wonderful thing.
#4 He has gained much in the way of phonetic sounds just over the last few weeks.  I haven't really been working on phonics otherwise but he is learning so it has to be the game.

On the Ooka Island website there are activity pages that can be used with the program.  We haven't used them yet, but I think that they will be a good supplement.

If your child needs some phonics supplement, or you are looking for an educational "game" I strongly recommend that you give Ooka Island a try.  To sweeten the deal, they are offering my readers a 30% off discount good until June 1, 2013. 

No comments: